It’s Valentine’s Day, which most likely means you will have some chocolate or other sweet treats in your future. Be sure to take care of your teeth while you are indulging! Here are some dental tips recommended by Dr. Ryne Johnson, prosthodontist at Newton Wellesley Dental Partners.
To ensure that your teeth remain strong and healthy and to avoid periodontal disease and gingivitis, here are some simple and easy tips:
- Brush Twice a Day: Brushing your teeth twice a day is the first step to good oral hygiene. Bacteria in your mouth converts food deposits that collect between teeth into acids. The mixing of these acids and your natural saliva results in plaque which leads to tooth decay and cavities. Plaque development starts immediately after eating. So brushing at least twice a day can minimize plaque accumulation.
- Use Fluoride Toothpaste: Since you are brushing anyway, use toothpastes that contains fluoride. Fluoride fights bacteria and helps prevent tooth decay.
- Floss Daily: Flossing allows you to remove plaque between your teeth. Between your teeth is the main area where plaque and tooth decay begin. You can counter this by flossing daily.
- Visit the Dentist: It is recommended that you visit the dentist at least 2 times a year. Seeing the dentist helps you find and fix cavities, tooth decay or any gum problems as soon as they start, preventing bigger problems later on.
- Eat a Diet Rich in Calcium: A healthy diet rich in calcium is one of the most basic tips for healthy and strong teeth. Drinking milk daily ensures healthy, strong, white teeth. Avoiding foods that have high sugar like candy, pretzels and chips is good for your teeth as well.
For more information on dental and oral health, visit www.NewtonWellesleyDentalPartners.org and remember, “See a Specialist…The Difference will make you Smile.”